Sunday, August 25, 2013

I used to hate the color gold...

When we bought our house, I hated the color gold. Really - it was like one of the first things I swore I was going to wipe out when we first moved in. (Of course, I still haven't wiped out all of those lovely builder grade gold fixtures but I'm working on it one at a time.) Anytime I saw something gold, I cringed a little. Lately, I've seen quite a few "pins" about using gold as an accent and I noticed that I stopped cringing as much. Eventually, I thought to myself "maybe it's not that bad." Don't get me wrong - I still cringe at builder grade "gold" but I've seen that when used correctly with the right accents & the right colors - it can actually really enhance a piece or a room.

Now onto my example - what I will call my happy little accident table.

 
I bought this little gal for $8 at a thrift store last year. I don't know why - I wasn't even sure I liked it so it sat and sat and sat for months until I finally decided that I needed to do something with it. I've been wanting a red accent piece for my living room and I needed another lamp for the evenings so I thought "why not?". I headed out to Lowes, found a deep red color swatch, and went home to promptly start painting.....where I discovered that what I swore was deep red in the store was actually a hot pink/coral. Oops.

In comes the dreaded gold: I remembered that I had a can of gold spray paint I inherited and thought I'd never use but also couldn't stand to just throw out. (To the other members of the "I can't throw it away because I might use it one day: this is a perfect example to our husbands of why our argument is valid.)

Coral/pink + gold = good.


The best way I could accomplish the combination of spray paint and regular paint is that I tackled the spray paint areas first and then applied the regular paint in the other areas. I also used 18 Qtips and several un-ladylike words attacking the areas where the paints would intersect.


It's good, yea? She won't work in my living room anymore but she'll work perfect in my bright colored eclectic dining room/office combo once it's finished. It's the one room where I let my love for bright colors overtake. ;)

 Really what do you think...is gold a yay or nay for you?

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty!! I've never been the biggest fan of gold either...I don't even wear gold-colored jewelry, but I've also seen it used in decor in small areas and I think it can be pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i love gold! i don't really use it in my house that much since i use stainless steel so much, but I love gold for my accessories and for decorating cards and paper and other things!

    cute table!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love.