Friday, September 6, 2013

Hot Fudge Cake: Fail.

I have a little shindig this evening with some dear wonderful friends. I opted to bring the dessert because I love to try new desserts off Pinterest. (Ironically, I'm not a very good baker OR cook. Please see: cinnamon rolls.) But  sure - I can tackle a hot fudge pudding cake from scratch.

I found this recipe from Brown Eye Baker.

Picture Credit: Brown Eyed Baker
It looks amazing and it seemed easy enough (you can find instructions there) and I totally trusted a great grandmother recipe.  Plus, all I needed to buy was the cocoa powder so it was going to be cheap, too! (Don't you hate it when you find a dessert but need to buy 8 ingredients you don't even ever use?) This was great!

Zeke helped me mix all the ingredients together and into the oven it went for 40 minutes. Timer goes off - cake is still liquid. What's a girl to do? Keep cooking it I suppose so I just kept cooking it...and cooking it....aaaaaaaand cooking it. Once I smelled it burning, I gave up. I took it out and I had fudge sauce with blackened edges.



I was seriously scratching my head people. I tried Googling it but all that gave me was more hot fudge recipes. I am apparently only the one who has ever wondered why "my hot fudge cake is so runny". I thought maybe I was crazy. I thought maybe the great grandmother really liked gooey liquid cake and I was misinterpreting what it was supposed to look like. I thought I messed up when I one and halfed the recipe. I blamed it on Zeke - he must have thrown an extra ingredient in there when I wasn't looking. It was the oven's fault. I need a new oven. I was dumbfounded.

I decided to make the best out of it and posted my fail on Instagram/Facebook and stated my innocence in any wrongdoing in the creation of this cake. One of my friends commented something alone the lines of "I did that once. I used powerdered sugar instead of flour."

Enter the lightbulb. And the bell. DING!DING!DING!

Yup, I used powdered sugar instead of flour. I grabbed the wrong canister without even thinking. Darn you Pinterest and your gorgeous pictures convincing me to fill my pantry with clear organized jars.

Brown Eyed Baker - I'm sure your great grandmother's recipe is wonderful. I'm sorry I ever doubted her!! I totally am going to try to redeem myself and try again with flour.

:D

1 comment:

  1. I love so much your google question!! Lol I always type things like that.. My husband says if you need a laugh just look at my google searches;-) well I think the fudge still looks tasty...who needs flour when you have sugar? This story is awesome. Better luck next time!!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love.